The Office of Institutional Research and Assessment (OIRA) at Syracuse University was established in 2006. Led by Dr. Elizabeth “Libby” Barlow, we are part of the Division of Enrollment Management. The office is located at 400 Ostrom Avenue and is open standard University business hours.
Association for Institutional Research (AIR) AIR, the principal professional association for institutional researchers, provides a variety of resources to enhance the planning, managing, and operating of postsecondary institutions. National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) NCES, a part of the U.S. Department of Education and the Institute of Education Sciences, is responsible for collecting, analyzing, and reporting educational data.
- Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) IPEDS, a component of NCES, focuses specifically on collecting educational data (e.g., enrollment, graduation rates, financials, etc.) from all postsecondary institutions.
- IPEDS Peer Analysis System This system is an interactive search tool that allows data comparisons between a chosen postsecondary institution and a group of peer institutions selected by the user.
- NCES College Navigator College Navigator is an interactive search program that permits comparisons between the profiles of over 7,000 U.S. colleges and universities.
- Where Are They Now?: A Description of 1992-93 Bachelor’s Degree Recipients 10 Years Later (NCES Study) This report presents the results of a national study which explored the advanced degrees, employment history, satisfaction with the undergraduate experience, and civic participation of students who earned or expected to earn a baccalaureate degree in 1992 or 1993. Survey data were collected from these individuals in 1994, 1997, and 2003.
National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) NCAA is a national organization responsible for governing intercollegiate athletics. The site provides information on various aspects of athletics, including academics, eligibility requirements, governance, and student-athlete developmental programming.
- NCAA Report on the Federal Graduation Rates Data This report provides the graduation rates of Division I, II, and III student-athletes by institution.
New York State Education Department (NYSED) Through an interconnected system of educational services, the NYSED carries out its mission “to raise the knowledge, skill, and opportunity of all the people in New York.”
- Office of Higher Education (OHE) OHE, a division of NYSED, executes several responsibilities, including the certification of teachers and other school professionals, the improvement of teacher preparation and recruitment programs, and the administration of higher education access programs for traditionally underrepresented and underserved populations.
- Office of Research and Information Systems (ORIS) ORIS, a branch of OHE, collects, analyzes, and distributes information reflecting the quality and status of higher education in New York State.
University and College Accountability Network (U-CAN)
[Syracuse University’s profile] The U-CAN site provides institutional profiles on hundreds of private colleges and universities. Via a common reporting template, comparable institutional information is provided to prospective students and their families.
U.S. Department of Education This federal entity is directed to “promote educational excellence for all Americans.” The Department establishes educational policy, collects and disseminates educational data, researches key areas of concern, and promotes equal access for all to education.
- Ed Pubs This web site provides direct access to educational resources offered by the U.S. Department of Education. With links to over 6,000 publications, many of which are free, ED Pubs facilitates searches with helpful search tools. For additional information, browse to About ED Pubs.
U.S. News & World Report This publication provides rankings and guides to America’s best colleges/universities and graduate schools.